In order to apply for the Winter School on Federalism and Governance 2022 – online edition, candidates have to submit a completed application form (online form, link available below).
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY.
In the application form you will be asked to submit:
- personal data
- relevant academic and professional education
- work experience (if applicable)
- a statement of motivation (max. 1500 characters incl. spaces)
- a short academic essay (max. 3500 characters incl. spaces) on one of the eight questions related to the workshop topics.
To preview the application form’s questions, please click here.
Details regarding the essay are explained below. Please note that without the essay the application cannot be considered!
In case of questions regarding the application form and procedure, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please apply by using this application form
Deadline for applications: SUNDAY, 17 OCTOBER 2021, 23:59 CEST
Only complete application forms (including all required personal data, statement of motivation and essay) will be taken into consideration. No additional documents are required.
Due to the global COVID-19 situation, the Winter School on Federalism and Governance 2022 edition will be organized as an online programme. In order to guarantee an international participation of people from different countries and time zones, a daily programme between two and three hours will be provided. This daily program is expected to take place in the early afternoon of the Central European Time Zone.
In the confirmation email in early December 2021, selected candidates will be informed about the format and can decide whether to accept the invitation and enroll in the program.
Detailed information regarding the academic essay for the application
For half a day, workshops will focus on four topics selected by the Winter School’s scientific committee. The workshop topics of the 2022 edition are:
A) Financial Crises
B) Environmental Crises
C) Public Health Crises
D) Territorial Crises
As part of the application, we ask you to select one of the workshops and to write a short essay of max. 500 words (3500 characters) answering ONE of the two questions linked to the workshop you have chosen:
Workshop A – Financial Crises
- Intergovernmental financial relations are a key area of interest in all federal systems. They are particularly important during an emergency to govern extraordinary financial arrangements, address such unexpected circumstances and channel funds to the territorial subunits. What type of arrangements have countries adopted to distribute funds and responsibilities in this field during emergency situations? Please focus on a case study you are familiar with and provide examples.
- What general trends can be observed regarding the safeguard of subnational financial autonomy during emergency situations? What role do the Courts play in this respect? Please use examples making reference to best (and worst) practices, case-law or political agreements
Workshop B – Environmental Crises
- To what extent has the management of environment emergencies generated conflict between different governments in your country and to what extent has it led to cooperation?
- Conflict is defined here as significant political disagreements between governments, which can manifest itself in a refusal to collaborate with one another; the initiation of litigation; and political campaigning.
- Cooperation is defined here as initiatives in which governments collaborate with one another to design mutually supportive policies to resolve common or shared problems. In doing so, discuss both “horizontal” and “vertical” manifestations of conflict and cooperation
- What institutions and processes have been or could be used to overcome coordination challenges, resolve regulatory conflicts, and promote collaboration between different entities towards effective management of environment emergencies in your country?
Workshop C – Public Health Crises
- What role did the distribution of powers in public health across different levels of government play in your country during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages, in your view, of a centralized vs a federal (i.e. distributed) public health response to a pandemic?
Workshop D – Territorial Crises
- What is the relationship between federalism as a constitutional form and the principle of self-determination? In answering this question, what is the role, if any, of the conceptual distinction between internal and external self-determination?
- Does federalism weaken or strengthen the unity of plural societies?
Applications which are successfully submitted and complete will receive a confirmation via e-mail within 5 working days after submission.
Applicants will be notified in early December 2021. The enrollment procedure (including payment of the tuition fee) has to be completed within 7 working days after notification of the invitation to participate.
Any further questions may be directed to the organizers at email@example.com or +39-0471-055239.